Friday, January 8, 2010

Writer's Block

So I'm trying something new; writer's block questions. There's a page over at livejournal (remember when?) which is basically a writing exersize. Get the ball rolling and all that. Here we go:

If you had to tighten your budget (or already have), what would be the easiest thing to cut?

The budget of a college student is notoriously malleable. While I do have some essential expenses like gas, heat, electricity rent and groceries; pretty much everything else is expendable. And even then, I could get by without my car, or I could steal enough from the DCs to cut down my grocery bill. This flexible arrangement is enabled by my family, who finance a large majority of my comfortable life. But the question here is 'easiest,' which is a little tricky. That's because it gives a sense of effortlessness, that there is simply one thing I could do away with which would be both a) painless and b) immediate in increasing my real wages. And as much as it pains be to say this, I think I know the answer: Alcohol. And more specifically: Beer.

I love beer. It's true. Namely, I love expensive beer. Not the $100/per bottle collectors items, just got old fashioned craft beer. It's delcious, it improves my night, and it gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. and it's also really really expensive over time. As delcious as it is, I can't justify spending $20-40/week for the luxury. So lately, I've been drinking tea instead of beer at nights. I've been sleeping sooner in the evening, and resting better. I have more cash on hand to look at pro-dealing some gear I want.

But, I don't think I'll ever fully quit drinking beer. There's too much fun to be had and to many friends to enjoy a drink with. For now though, it's not an essential part of my life. That's why beer is the easiest thing I can cut to help my budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment